Skip to main content

REINVENT YOUR LIFE FOR BETTER CAUSE- MOTIVATION FOR YOUTHS

 REINVENT YOUR LIFE FOR BETTER CAUSE- MOTIVATION FOR YOUTHS some decisions of major decisions and also there are a lot of small decisions that we don't make that they tax our minds they drain our energy they create a lot of anxiety and nervousness and mental torment because we don't take care of it we decide not to decide which is a decision deciding to decide to act is a major major challenge for all of us at different points in different areas of our lives and there are things that happen to us along the way experiences that we have that prevent us from working through the mental block of acting of doing those things that we know we ought to do and so what i want you to think about is what is there that you know you need to do that you want to do this but for some reason or another you've been holding back for some reason or another you just have not been able to gather your nerves or be able to work through the procrastinating or putting it off or justifying or blaming s

SCHOOL WON'T TEACH YOU THIS- NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON

THE SCHOOLS WON'T TEACH YOU ANY OF THIS

On my tombstone I want the epitaph, “Be ashamed to die until you have scored some victory for humanity”.  And a victory for humanity is not a victory for yourself.  It's not statues, it's not your name, it's just humanity's better off. Any of us should want the world to be a little better off for you having lived in it.  That doesn't mean people praising you not even about that but what do you have to give with no expectation of return.  No one ever told me that I had to search for meaning in life.  Many people look for meaning  in life, as though it's going to be under  a rock  or behind a tree and I'm thinking to  myself,  you have more power than that you have  the power  to create meaning in your life, rather than passively look for it. 


INSPIRATIONAL TALK BY NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON


So for me, I create the meaning and meaning to me is do I know more about the world today than I did yesterday?  That enhances meaning for me. By whatever powers I have available to me, have I lessened the suffering of others or the corollary to that would be. Have I enhanced the lives of others? And I don't mean have I devoted the whole day to do that.  Then I would be ignoring myself but if there's some small gesture that I can do that can completely add value to someone's life, I'm going to do it. Because the leveraging of 10 minutes of my life into the happiness or enlightenment or the reduced suffering of someone else. I'd be irresponsible if I did not. What I do for the public is almost 80+ percent of it is driven by duty, not by ambition.

What gives you the sense of duty?

Because I can do something and if I can do it better than others and it's for a greater good in society, I would be irresponsible if I did not. 

What was it about your dad that impacted you so much that you still carry today?

 For me at least was what level of wisdom did he glean in his life and then successfully communicate to me either by example or by just explicit statement. For example, in high school, he was in gym class and they were lining up. They were about to enter the next athletic unit and it was track and field.  And the gym instructor pointed to my father online and said, Cyril Tyson. Everyone looks at him, “ he does not have the body type that would excel in the track”.  They used him as an example. He says, what? No one is going to tell me what I can't do in my life. He used that as the reason to start running and he started track at that moment. He decided that one of his next tasks in life would be to take up running and excel at it. Within a few years of that, he became world-class.  At one time had the fifth-fastest time in the world,  in the middle distance, they don't run this anymore 600-yard run.

In 1948 the Olympics was not yet ready to come back to the US because we're still reeling roiling from the second world war.  Instead, there was still an Olympics. It was called the GI  Olympics and it was held in Hitler stadium. So he competed in Hitler's stadium in the late 1940s and just one of the great memories of his life. But the reason I'm saying all of that is,  they were competing against the New York athletic club. The New York athletic club at the time accepted only white protestants. So there's another club called the pioneer club, which took everybody who was not accepted to the New York athletic club which was basically blacks and jews is really what that came down to. His best friend Johnny Johnson was coming around the backstretch might have been the quarter-mile, coming on the final straightaway and a runner from the York athletic club is a few paces behind him. Johnny Johnson overhears that runner's coach say catch that and he overheard this. So what did he say to himself, he said,” this is what he isn’t going to catch”.

 That extended his lead to the finish line and he tells this story, not with any bitter tone. He never had that kind of tone when he shared those stories with us. It was here's an occasion to parlay  what today might be called a  micro-aggression into a reason to excel even more than you had expected of your own abilities and talents. And so I have taken that lesson with me.

What's the impact you want to have on the world?

My impact would be people learn from me in a way that they are empowered by what I taught them. So that when they think of what they learned from me, they no longer think of me, they think of their own base of understanding of how this world works. So that I become irrelevant. Because, if people say this is true because Tyson said so, then I failed.  That's not how you teach someone that's teaching them by an authority.  I want to teach you how to think about the world and then you say I have a new way to understand the world and you just runoff. Don't even look back. Because a new level of hunger has descended upon you and methods and tools to feed that hunger is now accessible to you.

So my impact would be that others are impacted and they don't even remember that I had something to do with it.  I met Carl Sagan when I was 17. I was applying to colleges. He was at Cornell.  I had been accepted to Cornell but didn't know what college I wanted to go to and the admissions office saw that I wasn't totally in the moment there, therefore I didn't know this they had forwarded my application to him for his reaction.

 I was already deep in the universe since I was nine and he sent me a letter. he doesn't know me from the atom.  I'm a 17-year-old kid from the Bronx.  he's a professor of astronomy at Cornell  University and I get this letter and I opened it. it says I understand you like the same stuff I like. Do you want to come to visit the campus to help you decide if you want to go to Cornell?  I was like, Whoa!!! This is now he hadn't done cosmos yet that's how old I am but he was already famous. So I took him up on it.  I took a bus up to Ithaca New York. He met me outside his building on a Saturday. Invited me up to his office, saw the labs.  I'm there. In front of me, he did something really cool. He reached back, didn't even looked grabbed a book off the shelf, it was one of his books. I thought that was the baddest,  that was a badass thing don't even have to look that's one of my books. Yep. Here and he signed it to me Neil Tyson is a future astronomer. sign carl.

 Later in the day, I'm ready to go back to new york. It begins to snow. As it does often in December in Ithaca and he said,  here's my home number. If the bus can't get through from the snow, spend the night with my family and go back tomorrow.  i'm thinking who am I? why? I'm nobody but I was somebody to him. and I said to myself if I'm ever as remotely famous as he is,  I will treat students the way he has treated me.

 If Einstein were here and we're talking with Einstein?  We could talk to him for hours and hours and hours. You know, what question will never come out of our mouths is what college did you go to? I want to go to that same college. I bet most of your people have sat in this chair, It's not about what college they went to.  It's about their own initiative, their own drive, their own ambitions, their own curiosity. That is not taught in school, sadly. Schools, they view you as this empty vessel that they pour information in and you test it over here. You get a high grade, you're praised.  Is that who becomes the shakers and movers of the world? I don't think so.

School should as a  minimum  preserve that curiosity for you.  if you lost some of it because it's not going to be in all of us put it back in. so that when you graduate school you can give literal meaning to the word commencement.  commencement means beginning. it doesn't mean ending.  and so you leave school and you say to yourself I now know how to learn. I now have a curiosity of all things I have yet to be exposed to.  and I will now become a lifelong learner.  without that, you become ossified in whatever was the body of knowledge that existed the day you graduated. and you will lead a life always looking back at that time without continuing to grow who and what you can become in life.  I think we should all get as high grades as you can but if you don't get the highest grades possible no one should be standing in judgment of that.  if you have some other ambitions that have pathways that don't get encoded in the GPA that other people are referencing.

 when you approach a topic that you don't know, how/what is your actual process?

I read things that take me to places where other people think.  if I'm an educator. I want to know that.  because when you're speaking to me and I have some understanding of you, I can navigate your receptors for learning.  I don't have to have you come to where I am. that's not right. I'm the educator, not you.  you're the curious person so I'm gonna meet you on your territory.  how do I create meaning in my life as I go forward?  my first question of me wasn't where do I find meaning it was how do I create meaning and that started early teens.

 did you help your kids with this is that something that you found a way to sort of educating on or pass down so that they would be asking a similar question instead of doing the sort of wander search thing?

 Yeah, I have an unorthodox approach to what we did with our kids. We discussed this. My wife and I wanted to make sure that in however they were raised that they retained the curiosity of childhood into adulthood. Let's say there's a little toddler walking here. Crawling on the ground, it comes up and they start grabbing this. what's the first thing, no don't touch that. this was an experiment waiting to happen that you just squashed.  This is a cup, it has water in it. This is breakable.  The kid doesn't know that. They want to experiment so they'll grab it,  it'll fall,  it'll break, water will spill all over. That was an experiment you just prevented.  They are experimenting with their environment. Everything is new to them.

I saw a woman walking with their kid. The kid has galoshes on and a raincoat on. They're coming down the walkway and there's this big juicy muddy puddle right there. And I said please let the kid jump in the puddle. You know, the kid wants to jump in the puddle. The kid is like three or four. what does the mother, pulls the kid around to prevent that from happening. That's an experiment in cratering. That's what craters happen that way. you splash the water, there's mud, it's fun you get to see. The cause and effect of a force downward force operating on a  fluid. Gone…  That was a bit of curiosity at that moment, that was extinguished.

So without kids curiosity provided it does not kill them. If it meant we had extra work  in front of us, I would do that extra work.  and I have pretty high confidence that they'll retain that curiosity through the turbulent middle school years into high school and what is an adult scientist but a kid,  who has never lost the curiosity. 

 We live in a very fractured world today.  But what is clear is that the Internet has enabled, and social media, have enabled people to tribalize.  You might go your whole life without ever finding another person who thinks the earth is flat.  You go online, and you see them all, and they have conventions, and they meet here,  even if it's only virtual.  So you have ways to say why  you are different from other people? And I don't know that, that's always a healthy place to be.  In a pluralistic land, you want to celebrate differences rather than go out of your way to establish differences and then claim one group is better than another.  You can draw a line in the sand between people who transgress but do not hold power over you from those who transgress and do.  So the coach who said, catch that doesn't have power over Johnny Johnson Unless you allow him to.

 There's a famous quote  from Martin Luther King:  “You can only be ridden  if your back is bent.”  When I grew up, it was very common  to hear the phrase:  “Sticks and stones can break my bones,  but words will never hurt me.”  You recited this. This is what you were told when you came home.  When you said, oh, you know,  this bully called me a name,  and it’s “sticks and stones can break  my bones, but words will never hurt me.”  And so this was an inoculation against hate speech, really.  Against just evil people,  just nasty people.  You were able to develop a set,  a system of defenses against unpleasant people out there.  And I haven't heard that phrase in a long time.  What I think has happened over the years is, we came to learn as a civilization that words can be hurtful.  I don't have a problem with that.  This is an enlightened new place to understand the role of our emotional state and how it interacts with our world around us.  That's an advance in mental health.  What I see on the flip side of that coin, however, is people are less able to deal with the very same people who are around today, who were around back then,  who is calling you names.

 The people who might be bullying you on the internet by saying things about you.  I don't know how to defend against that now,  other than seeing a counselor for your emotional state.  I can say from the era in which I grew up,  I don't give a rat's ass what you say to me. Okay?  Unless you are between me and some goal,  then I have to navigate that someway.  If there's a racist person or sexist person or a person with some kind of cultural bias.  I want to know that, actually.  I don't want them to hide that.  I want you to say everything  you want to say.  Then I'll say, Ok, that's who you are,  that's how you're thinking.  So, now, what do I need to do? Because you're in my way.  Do I dig under you, go around you,  leap over you,  or do I go this way and then come out the other side? Yes, longer. It's more effort,  It's more energy,  but on some level,  it's sort of same shit, different day.  

   [MOTIVATIONAL TALK BY NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON]                                                                                                                                            

                                                                                             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOW IS YOUR TIME-BRIAN M BULLOCK

   THIS IS YOUR TIME,USE IT TO CREATE LEGACY - MOTIVATION BY BRIAN M BULLOCK  We always look for the right time, right opportunity. But what we miss is we have to act whenever it's necessary. This is why we need to keep in mind that no time will be right because Now is our right time. So many people are waiting here. You're waiting for things to be perfect. You're   waiting for everyone to get themselves together. You're waiting for someone to invite you into the room.   You're waiting for someone to give you a seat at the table. You're waiting for someone to validate your gift. You're waiting for someone to call your name. You're waiting for someone to give you the opportunity.   You're waiting for everything to line up.   You're waiting for all the situations to come together perfectly and I'm telling you, you cannot wait. You got to start working right now. IF YOU DIDN'T ACT, SOMEONE WILL Depression is not   waiting for you to get it t

MOTIVATIONAL TALK BY DR. JESSICA HOUSTAN- GIVE YOUR ALL

 GIVE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE Have you ever asked yourself the question how did I get here? Many times we make subtle decisions that don't seem to be a big deal but what we often fail to realize is that where you are today is the result of all of the decisions, big and small that you've made up until this point. The good news is that even if you are not where you want to be right now, you still have a chance to rewrite your script. Yes, it's frustrating when you do not accomplish what you've expected to accomplish within the time frame that you set. Yes, all of us want our journey to be a straight path but in actuality, your journey will have unexpected stops. It will have curves, it will have heels, it will have valleys.   You will have sunny days, you will have rainy days,   but you have to decide   if I encounter rejection if I encounter   frustration if I am disappointed, I will not give up. The key is to learn how to separate your feelings from your performance. Yes,